The sunshine blogger award is an award given by bloggers to other bloggers to award our peers. Each blogger nominated for the award is asked to nominate 11 other bloggers (I doubt I can achieve that…but I’ll try and anyone who is intrigued by this is MORE THAN WELCOME to pick up the gauntlet!) they admire, enjoy or who inspires them. It’s an honor to be recognized, and a wonderful opportunity to encourage others to keep doing what they love.
As happens if you write a blog for a while, you “meet” people and sometimes you really wish thousands of miles didn’t separate you and you could easily drop in for a cup of coffee. Erin of Unbound Roots, who nominated me, is one of those people. We have numerous common interests, and I always enjoy reading her blog. I even follow her on Twitter! Erin’s blog is an eclectic mix of her watercolor paintings, the adventures of her family, dogs and horses, discussions of teaching, sports, gardening and life in Minnesota. I find myself envying her snow, the chance to ski on Lake Superior and forest adventures of a kind that aren’t available here in Heaven. I usually get over my envy because we have fewer mosquitoes… 😉
One of the greatest things that has happened to me as a writer of this blog is Erin’s reading My Everest and her being inspired to take some solo hikes with her dogs. That’s the kind of “review” that warms my heart (and inspired me to take out my dogs…).
Each blogger nominated for the award is asked to nominate 11 other bloggers that they admire or are inspired by. It’s a wonderful opportunity to encourage others to keep doing what they love.
- Thank the person who nominated you and provides a link back to their blog so others can find them.
- Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 new questions.
- Notify the nominees about it by commenting on one of their blog posts.
- List the rules and (optional) display a Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post and/or your blog site.
The Questions I Was Tasked With:
1. What inspired you take the leap into the blogging world?
I started blogging because I read a book about marketing self-published novels and it said I NEEDED a WordPress Blog.
2. What is your favorite blog post?
My favorite posts are the stories, and my favorite story is a response to one of the old Weekly Prompts which were usually challenging and fun. The title of the story on WP is “Denver, and It’s Dinner, and It’s 1976″ but it was published in a local lit mag as “Amores Refritos” — a better title.
3. What is your most-viewed blog post?
“Dogs” which is just me making a case for why my dogs are not “fur babies” but accomplices and friends. Dogs are a big part of my life, and that post came straight from my heart. It seems to have touched others. ❤
4. Do you have any other creative outlets besides blogging?
I write novels and have written a couple of memoirs — one for general consumption, My Everest. The other? Limited edition of 3 copies. 🙂 I’m also a painter in watercolor and oil, mostly.
5. If you could meet any blogger in person, who would it be and why?
Erin of Unbound Roots so we could go skiing on Lake Superior. Mrs. Angloswiss because she’s in Switzerland (a place that fills my heart in ways I can’t begin to explain), last time I was there we tried to meet and didn’t find each other, AND we have had a lot of fun over the years talking to each other through our blogs. Any of the writers for the Dihedral because they amaze me and give me hope for the future. My list for this is very very very long. I pretty much only follow people I would like to know in person.
6. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
No 67 year old person answers that question without bitter and ironic laughter. In 10 years I HOPE to be skiing around my golf course with an elderly Siberian Husky I’ve rescued. I also hope Bear is still around.
7. Where is your favorite place to unwind?
Anywhere I can see the mountains and walk with my dogs, particularly if there’s snow.
8. What makes you happy?
The San Luis Valley makes me happy every day, whether its the mind-bending natural beauty, the sweetness of the people I meet, the fun I have with my friends, or just hanging out with my dogs. I am happy here. It’s a state of being I’m grateful for every single day.
9. How much time do you spend blogging per week?
It depends. Lately I haven’t been very interested, so maybe 30 minutes a day? So about 4 hours/week. I still try to write to a prompt because it’s a challenge and sometimes fun.
10. Do you have a person you share your blogs/writing with before the
world sees it? No. Dusty and Bear could not care less.
11. Can you share a future goal you have for your blog/writing?
I don’t have a future goal for my blog writing. All writing is about writing better, however that evolves. I don’t take my blog very seriously.
I’ve been tasked to nominate 11 other bloggers, and there’s no way I can do that as most of the blogs I follow are “award free.” SO… I’m going to second Erin’s nominees in a couple instances. Answering 22 questions is a lot of work, so don’t feel obliged to answer mine unless they strike a chord and you want to.
1.Shannon from Must Hike Must Eat is a nature lover; therefore I love her. She writes about all of her incredible hikes, nature projects she’s currently working on, food that you can make for the trail, and more. I like being taken on hikes I will never take myself. Shannon’s writing and passion for hiking succeed in that.
2. Josy from A Walk and a Lark is so much fun to follow. She has traveled all over the world, she’s adventurous, and she’s great at sharing all of her incredible experiences. Want to hike near Vancouver? You NEED to check out all of her guides – they’re great. Josy’s blog makes me wish for rain and all the gifts of humid mountains that don’t exist here in Heaven. That says a LOT about the fantastic hikes she describes.
3. Tracy from Reflections of An Untidy Mind has a delicious array of witty posts. Tracy is a person I wish lived across the street. Because of her, I’ve learned about Finnish Spitz dogs and wish I could meet one.
4. Dangerspouse is one of the brightest and funniest writers I’ve EVER read. He’s irreverent, kind, a great cook and, yeah, someone I wish I knew in 3D.
5. Xenia of Whippet Wisdom lives in Scotland and writes lovely small poems (Haiku and Tangkas, often) to go with breathtaking photos of her two beautiful whippets, Pearl and Eivor. Another person I wish I knew in 3D.
6. Christine Mallaband-Brown, a very talented artist who lives in the English town of Spode. She has recently started writing stories along with posts showing her paintings, drawings and computer art.
7. Marilyn of Serendipity: Seeking Intelligent Life on Earth is a fascinating person who has been maintaining her blog and her audience for a long time! I’m sure she has some interesting responses to my questions (if she’s doing these awards at all, and I hope so).
Other blogs I love include: The Dihedral (an inspiring blog written by a group of climbers); My Life in Paragraphs, written by Cara Achterberg, a talented writer who also fosters dogs; Denny, who reviews books, writes about hiking and family on The Ceaseless Writer Writes; Sgeoil a beautiful poetry blog by a nature-loving woman living on the plains of Canada.
Please consider yourselves nominated if you have time 🙂
For my blogging friends: If you would like to participate in this Sunshine Blogger Award, you will find your 11 questions below.
Here are YOUR questions
1. What made you decide to write a blog on WordPress?
2. You’re writing a blog post and you find it taking on a direction of its own. Do you assume control or do you follow it?
3. What are your goals as the writer of a blog? What do you hope for?
4. Describe the best day you’ve had in the past twelve months.
5. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why? What experiences would you hope for?
6. What was the worst road trip of your life? What happened?
7. How much time to you put into your blog? Do you write every day?
8. Do you write to a daily prompt? Why or why not?
9. What’s your favorite post? Why? Please share. 🙂
10. Is there a book, film or person (or animal) that inspired you and changed your life? What or who was it? How did it have such a profound effect on you?
11. What advice do you have for someone who has just started writing a blog? What rewards has it given you that might inspire someone else?
Thank you all!