Daily Prompt: In the Summertime by Krista on April 6, 2014 Theoretically, summer will return to the polar-vortex-battered Northern Hemisphere. What are you looking forward to doing this summer? If you’re in the Southern Hemisphere, what are your fondest memories of Summer past?
Wow. Interesting shift from 80s music to the one-hit-wonders of the year I graduated high school. Green-Eyed Woman and now, Mungo Jerry?
Mohammed’s Radio first inhabited a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500. Mungo Jerry’s song blasted out of it pretty often from KSSS (kiss) radio. I was working at the A & W Drive In on North Circle. We still made rootbeer and served it in frosted mugs. We actually had a freezer in which the mugs were kept. No knowledgeable person puts ice in rootbeer, by the way. Yeah, I’d been a car hop, but certain events, well, let’s just say I became a cook. Better job, anyway, even without the tips. My best friend and my neighbor, Glenn, got a job as a cook, too, and we had a blast juggling pickle slices and cleaning the grill. Being a cook — and often the only cook on the shift after the dinner rush — also made it easy for me to give my brother free “Baby Burgers” if he rode by on his bike, hungry. He’d run away from home and was living on the streets of Colorado Springs.
Summer was coming. Prom, senior trip and graduation were all on the horizon, but we had no idea what after that — sure, I had plans. A scholarship to a woman’s college in Denver (my mom’s dream) and Glenn? He had no clue. “Gonna’ work construction.” Glenn had gotten into the rock climbing “groove” which I now know was a phenomenon of my generation in Colorado. I kind of thought he’d be a climbing bum for a while, and he was.
So, the song came out. The boyfriend, David, (first sexual relationship) had not yet dumped me. We were planning great stuff together for the summer. He (or his parents?) hadn’t yet decided he would go work as a counselor in a summer camp in Woodland Park. I didn’t yet know my heart would be broken, but so would Glenn’s. Glenn came down to my house in late May with a plum on which he’d cut the words “I love you” with a pin. When I answered the door he said, “Close your eyes and bite.” When I had he said, “There. Now you know.” I didn’t yet know I’d go rafting on the Green River with my church group and lose my glasses in the current (placid current. I was dozing, holding them and when we hit a rough patch they fell out of my hand — should’ve left them on my face, right?)I didn’t yet know that late in the summer I’d end up dating my junior high crush and that in only two years I’d marry him. I didn’t yet know that summer I’d also become a camp counselor and love it and want to do that forever (what’s teaching English, anyway?). Desperately eager to leave home, I didn’t yet know that leaving my family would be so hard and that I’d worry constantly about my dad and brother.
The months before summer were the hazy honeymoon period before the graduation ceremony walk (which Glenn refused to do) and the end of innocence.
Summery of Other’s Posts:
- Summer Dreams | The Mirror Obscura
- The Match (Part 6) Oh, Brother | The Jittery Goat
- Summertime Sadness | Life Confusions
- Dark Wings and Peacock Hope: Daily Prompt | ALIEN AURA’S BLOG: IT’LL BLOW YOUR MIND!
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime | The WordPress C(h)ronicle
- DP Daily Prompt: In the Summertime | Sabethville
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime | littlegirlstory
- DAILY PROMPT: In The Summertime | Melissa Holden
- the party stayed up | y
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime « Mama Bear Musings
- Summertime Sadness: I hope not « psychologistmimi
- “Kinda” Excited to Have a Baby | A Crohnie’s Classroom
- Beyonce Songs That Speak to Me [Part 1] | She Writes
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Daily Prompt: In The Summertime- My Future and Past Summertime | Journeyman
- Summer | Kate Murray
- Stop, Summer Time ! | Knowledge Addiction
- In the Summertime – (Daily Prompt) | Roving Bess
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime, HOT Summer and Reading Summer! | seikaiha’s blah-blah-blah
- Fascinating Bird | wisskko’s blog
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Summertime Hiking|Remind Your Mind | Remind Your Mind
- hot fun in the summertime | eastelmhurst.a.go.go
- My Fav Season… | FREE BIRD
- In the Summertime | Purplesus’ Blog
- Daily Prompt:In The Summertime | My Other Blog
- Seasons and Lessons of Life and Faith | meanderedwanderings
- 7 Reasons Why We Love Summer | Never Stationary
- when they told me that | y
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Summertime Truth | Vanessa Elliott
- Summertime in Montreal | That Montreal Girl
- In a nutshell… | cockatooscreeching
- On deck… | Muddy River Muse
- When Summer Comes | Triumphant Wings
- Past and Now | Flowers and Breezes
- In the Summertime | Dragon Droppings
- In The Summertime. | emma blogs
- Daily Prompt: Remembering Summer | Mama Cormier
- Let’s Start a Band | Thinking Diagonally
- A Hangover Too Long | Views Splash!
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime | My Atheist Blog
- Summerfest Adventures | RECREATION | WANGSGARD
- Daily Prompt: In the Summertime | Finding Life