Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up to Be: Tell us about a time when everything actually turned out exactly as you’d hoped.
When I was in grad school at the University of Denver, the “in” place to live was Capitol Hill. I really really really wanted to live there like all the “cool” kids did. But I didn’t live there. I lived in Englewood in the upstairs part of a house with a basement. What it’s like living over a basement full of hookers is another blog post. Then I lived near the university; that was pretty good because I was RIGHT BY school and in the building next to that of my best friend.
Then, single, finally, again, I moved to a place near Washington Park. The place was OK, except for bits of the ceiling falling down. Then I finally moved to Capitol Hill — not the kind of place I WANTED but it was fine. A friend who lived in the building hooked me up and I had a one room apartment in a sixties building decorated in the faux Spanish concept. The ceiling had such heavy plaster in the hallway that it looked (to me) like bat guano (I’ve never seen bat guano). My life improved dramatically! I was close enough to walk to my job in a downtown Denver Law firm. It was a beautiful walk and a great transition from the world of painting and writing (MY world) to my gainful employment as a paralegal. My friend Wes, another artist, lived only a block and a half away. The place had a pool which was enjoyable. Cheeseman Park was a block to the east. Wow.
At some point, out of boredom, I changed the route for my walk home. Then I saw it. 12th and Marion. A canvas awning with “The Dalton” painted on it. It was two stories, very art deco. I passed it every day and every day got a kind of “feeling” from it. When a “For Rent” sign appeared in a first floor window I called immediately. I moved in on Halloween, 1980, with the help of a great friend who lived not far away and one of the guys in the mail room. We hauled large furniture three blocks in the back of my VW Bug, one piece at a time. Somehow I thought that was fun.
It really was perfect. Hardwood floors, a beautiful art deco (not usable) fireplace, niches for books, a simple kitchen in the style of the 1920’s, a black-and-white tiled bathroom. I didn’t have any furniture but as time passed I accumulated nice hand-me-downs. I was living in Denver’s most interesting neighborhood, I could walk anywhere I wanted to go, my friends were all close-by and I loved the ambiance of my own apartment.
I learned later from the most reliable source in the world (Helen Bonfils’ husband) that Helen Bonfils’ had built it for the actors and actresses who worked in the theater she built on Colfax in the late 1920s.
Living in Capitol Hill was truly “everything it was cracked up to be.” I’d go back in a heartbeat!
The building is still apartments, with pretty hefty rents. You can see it here. My apartment is now called the “Canterbury” – fitting since I’m now a medievalist.
If you have an interest in arcane Denver theater history, you can learn a little something here
A long list of dreams come true:
- Sky Geometry | Vintage Photography
- The Obligatory Gushing New York Post | AS I PLEASE
- Walt Won’t Talk About Religion, But Will Talk About Politics | The Jittery Goat
- No Vision – no Courage | A Teacher’s Blog
- All It’s Cracked Up to Be | Geek Ergo Sum
- Snow tree | muffinscout
- of dancing with strange men « Anawnimiss
- Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up to Be | The Wandering Poet
- Chiaroscuro – Sheep | artinstructor
- Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up to Be | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Wave Painting Finished | artinstructor
- Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up to Be | Thoughts of an INFP
- Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up to Be | What a beautiful mess I’m in
- Remember that time… | Unlocking The Inner Creative
- All It’s Cracked Up to Be: Purrfect & Not So Purrfect! | Khana’s Web
- DP Daily Prompt:All it’s cracked up to Be http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/01/15/daily-prompt-perfect/ | Sabethville
- Just a Perfect Day | Raspberry’s Daydreams
- Turning 40 is all it cracked up to be! « Dancing with Fireflies
- Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up to Be w/ Secret Sub-prompt: did you just say “bite me”? | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up to Be « cognitive reflection
- Doric Perfection | Exploratorius | Photo Hack & Curious Wanderer
- It’s the Little Things . . . | meanderedwanderings
- Distant Memories | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- Chateau de la Madeleine, Chevreuse, France | RinnyWee
- below | yi-ching lin photography
- A Perfect Day | Flowers and Breezes
- Answered Prayers | Active Army Wife
- Quest for the Perfect Story | theauthorwhoknows
- The Perfect Moment | My Little Avalon
- Day 8: What I see 🙂 | gypsy thoughts ..
- If you look for Perfection, you’ll never be Content | An Upturned Soul
- Better Than Perfect | Mishe en Place
- All It’s Cracked Up To Be | Just Visiting This Planet
- Just one shade of gray | Stories from aside
- Facets | johnny ojanpera
- Daily Prompt : All It’s Cracked Up to Be | Nicole Sloan’s Writing
- Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up To Be | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: All It’s Cracked Up to Be | Awl and Scribe
- Pantomime Dame’s Weakest Link?! | alienorajt
- 252. Picture Perfect | Barely Right of Center
- Chat Time, Chatime | Le Journal D’Une Cheval Noire
- The Best Life: The Medical Edition | The Best Life
- Daily Prompt: Perfect | Different Isn’t Wrong, It’s Just Different